Myrina (Greek: Μυρίνα), was one of the Aeolian cities on the western coast of Mysia, about 40 stadia to the southwest of Gryneium.  Its site is believed to be occupied by the modern Sandarlik at the mouth of the Koca Çay.
It is said to have been founded by one Myrinus before the other Aeolian cities, or by the Amazon Myrina. Artaxerxes gave Gryneium and Myrina to Gongylus, an Eretrian, who had been banished from his native city for favoring the interests of Persia.
Myrina was a very strong place, though not very large, and had a good harbor.  Pliny mentions that it bore the surname of Sebastopolis; while, according to Syncellus, it was also called Smyrna. For some time Myrina was occupied by Philip of Macedon; but the Romans compelled him to evacuate it, and declared the place free. It twice suffered severe earthquakes; first in the reign of Tiberius, on which occasion it received a remission of duties on account of the loss it had sustained; and a second time in the reign of Trajan. The town was restored each time, and continued to exist until a late period. Myrina minted coins in antiquity, some of which survive.
Terracotta figurines Editar
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography by William Smith (1856).
- ↑ Herod. i. 149.
- ↑ Richard Talbert, Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World, (ISBN 0-691-03169-X), Map 56 & notes.
- ↑ Mela, i. 18.
- ↑ Strabo xi. p. 505, xii. p. 573, xiii. p. 623; Diod. iii. 54.
- ↑ Xenoph. Hellen. iii. 1. § 4.
- ↑ Liv. xxxiii. 30.
- ↑ Scylax, p. 36; Agath. Praef. p. 9, ed. Bonn.
- ↑ v. 32.
- ↑ Liv. l. c,; Polyb. xviii. 27.
- ↑ Tac. Ann. ii. 47.
- ↑ Oros. vii. 12.
- ↑ Steph. Byz. s. v.; Ptol. v. 2. § 6; Apollon. Rhod. i. 604; Hierocl. p. 661; Geogr. Rav. v. 9, where it is called Myrenna, while in the Peut. Tab. it bears the name Marinna.)
|Esta página tiene contenido de Wikipedia. El Artículo original es Myrina. La lista de autores la puedes ver en Historial. El texto de Wikipedia esta disponible bajo Licencia Creative Commons Atribución/Compartir-Igual 3.0.|