Ken Eastman is a British Ceramic Artist who exhibits widely internationally and has won various awards in the field of the ceramic arts, including the ‘Premio Faenza’, Italy in 1995, the ‘Gold Medal’ at the World Ceramic Exposition 2001 Korea and the ‘President De la Generalitat Valencia’at the 5th Biennale International De Ceramica, Manises, Spain. In 1998-99 he was awarded the Arts Foundation Fellowship in Ceramics.
His work is held in numerous public collections including The Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park, Japan; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, USA; Musee des Arts Decoratifs de Montreal, Canada; Shepparton Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia; Museum Boijmans van Beunigen, Rotterdam; Landesmuseum, Stuttgart; Museu de Ceramica de Manises, Valencia and the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.
The core of his work centres around the idea of the vessel. He has never made functional work, but rather uses the vessel as a subject- to give meaning and form to an expression. Working through the medium of ceramics, Eastman can be both builder and painter; can handle shape and structure, as well as exploring tone and colour.
He is represented in the UK by the Barrett-Marsden Gallery, London, who in 2004 published ‘Ken Eastman, Behind the Gates of Clay’, a monograph about the development of the artist’s work. Eastman was elected as a member of the International Academy of Ceramics in 2003.
Selected Public CollectionsEditar
- Victoria & Albert Museum UK
- Crafts Council UK
- World Ceramic Centre Ichon, Korea
- Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Australia
- Museum Boymans van Beunigen, Rotterdam Netherlands
- Landesmuseum, Stuttgart Austria
- Musee des Arts Decoratifs de Montreal Canada
- Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge UK
- Nordenfjeldske Kunstindustrimuseum, Trondheim
- Museo de Ceramica de L'Alcora, Spain
- Racine Art Museum, Wisconsin, USA
- Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University, Manhattan, USA
- Hanhyanglim Gallery, Korea
- Museu de Ceramica de Manises,Valencia, Spain
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, USA
- Faenza International Ceramic Museum, Italy
- Keramikmuseum Westerwald, Germany
- The Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park, Japan
- Shepparton Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia
"Ken Eastman, Behind the Gates of Clay", Jane McCabe ISBN 0 9539239 2 4